Quick Facts for Wind Turbine Fire Suppression
May 11, 2021
Here are a few “Quick Facts” on Wind Turbine Fire Suppression
Power generation through wind energy encompasses many different remote fire hazards including flammable liquids (lubrication, cooling, hydraulic controls) and electrical components throughout the nacelle.
Stat-X® aerosol fire suppression systems are an ideal solution for hazard protection in the remote, demanding wind turbine application.
- Proven, UL listed performance protecting Class A (surface), B and C hazards.
- Simple yet robust, elegant design. No floor space is required for Stat-X canisters which easily fit in the cramped wind turbine nacelle. The units are completely non-pressurized as installed and require no piping.
- Activation of the Stat-X units can be initiated through an electrical signal (control panel with smoke or heat detection) or thermal actuator (no external power is required).
- Inspection and maintenance of Stat-X units is straightforward and budget-friendly.
- Stat-X systems are approved for occupied spaces through the US Environmental Protection Agency’s Significant New Alternatives Policy (SNAP list).
- Stat-X micro-particles tend to ‘float’ and stay airborne, at the appropriate design density typically for 45-60 min, far greater than gaseous agents.
- Aerosol from the discharge of Stat-X systems is environmentally friendly, with zero OPD, zero GWP and negligible atmospheric lifetime.
- Fires inside wind turbines are a real threat to power generation, local communities and first responders. Stat-X systems are the most cost effective and proven method to protect both new and installed wind turbines against fire.