Stat-X® devices are termed condensed aerosol agent generators because they generate an ulta-fine suspension of highly ionized potassium fire-fighting particles upon actuation.
The key elements in the generation process are:
- Device is sealed and stable until actuated
- Actuator at top energizes proprietary compound, creating aerosol agent by exothermic oxidation
- Build-up of ultra-fine particles and nitrogen gas breaks membrane seal and exits through ports
- Discharge fills protected area with a soft suspension of Stat-X agent without “super-pressurizing” space
- Potassium ions combine with fragments of combustion, inhibiting the fire chain reaction
- Agent particles also absorb heat from the fire and form inert gases upon decomposition
- Minute Stat-X agent particles (≤2 µm) remain in suspension afterwards, helping check re-ignition
- Post-fire area is vented and cleaned, with no harmful byproducts generated
The superior effectiveness of condensed aerosols is due to a unique set of characteristics unmatched by other special hazard agents. This is why it is by far the most efficient fire suppression agent by weight.
The Stat-X generator is operated by one of the following methods based on the generator selected for the application.
- Electrically with a fixed fire suppression system including detection and alarm
- Manually with a pull cable
- Thermally with our patented heat sensitive thermal head available in three (3) temperatures
Upon activation the generator will discharge an ultra-fine aerosol that stays suspended in the enclosure, the fire will be suppressed or extinguished based on the aerosol concentration level in the design.
How Stat-X Agent Suppresses Fires
- Stat-X agent and inert gas suspension discharge fills hazard volume (particle size 1-2 micron).
- Potassium radicals from Stat-X agent mix with free radicals generated by combustion.
- Potassium chemically joins with combustion free radicals, interrupting the fire’s reaction pathway and creating stable molecules.
- The interupted fire reaction pathway can no longer sustain combustion and the fire is suppressed.
Aerosol Fire Suppression Technology
How a Stat-X Generator Works
- Signal energizes actuator.
- Agent compound reacts with oxidation block.
- Stat-X agent and inert gas pass through cooling block and out generator exit ports.
- Stat-X agent suspension fills hazard area, suppressing fire.